Saturday 27 December 2014

Time to think.....


December 2014

The Christmas Season always makes me think about a lot of things. Some of my South Sudanese colleagues say, “It’s not good to think too much!” Well, I recognize that sometimes thinking “too much” can lead us to despair, can allow the negative thoughts to overwhelm us, and even cause us to lose hope. But I am believing that at the end of 2014 and a new year just ahead, thinking (perhaps better – reflecting) is wise and can help us to enter 2015 with a new sense of peace and joy!

In reading Isaiah 42 this morning, the prophet shared God’s word to us: “See, the former things have taken place, the new things I declare, before they spring into being I announce them to you.” (vs. 9) In the verses before this one, he told us of the SERVANT, “my chosen one in whom I delight” – Jesus – who would “bring justice to the nations” and who would NOT become discouraged in doing this work. 

When I reflect on the injustice in the world, the disrespect and intolerance, the pain and suffering of the most vulnerable, it is easy for me to question and become discouraged. Why must this be?  But Isaiah continues: “I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand.” (vs. 6)

The words of Christmas, "Immanuael - God with us," calls me to move from discouragement to the LIGHT OF HOPE!  I recognize my need to “go for a walk with the Lord every day,” to continue in this ministry here in South Sudan.  The amazing things is, God desires to take hold of my hand – to comfort, to guide, to share in this life experience.  My task is only to be faithful…..and to join Jesus on the walk every day! If you struggle with the same issues – may we commit to start this spiritual exercise in 2015 – a daily walk with the Lord!  Happy New Year!